Welcome!

When I first had to go gluten free, I did not know where to begin. I tried so many recipes and so many of them were awful. I decided to create a food blog to share my successful gluten free recipes. I am so grateful to all those people that have taken the time to give us good recipes and yummy gluten free products.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sandwich Bread!

I love bread. It is one of the things I would cry about no longer being able to have when I found out I had Celiac Disease. I remember for months eating just corn tortillas. I have been searching for the perfect bread recipe for years. I found it! This is delicious, easy, holds up well, is good hot or cold, and fills your house with the smells of yumminess.
You will need:

1 1/3 cup brown or white rice flour
1 1/3 cup tapioca flour/starch
1 1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon potato flour (not starch)
1 tablespoon xanthan gum (or guar gum)
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/2 cup powdered milk
4 large eggs
1/4 cup butter (cut up in chunks)
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey
2 cups warm water

Step One: Grease and flour two 8" bread pans.
Step Two: Mix dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl and set aside.

Step Three: Place eggs, butter, vinegar, and honey in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment*, mix ingredients together for about 30 seconds. The butter will be chunky**.

*The consistency of the finished dough is like cake batter. I believe that if you used a hand mixer it would work just as well as a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
**I cut my butter into chunks before doing this.

Step Four: Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix just until blended. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix for approximately 30 seconds, until blended.

Step Five: With the mixer on low speed (or else you will get splashed), slowly add warm water until well absorbed (I stopped in the middle and scraped the sides with a rubber spatula). Turn the mixer to medium high speed and beat for four minutes. Bread dough should resemble cake batter.
Step Six: Spoon dough into prepared pans. Let rise 50-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 375.















Step Seven: Place pans in oven on middle rack and bake for 45-60 minutes. (I usually do 45 - 50 because I like it soft and fluffy.) Insert a knife into the top of the loaf and it should come out clean. (If it's not completely clean and you like your dough softer then that's fine.)***updated June 2013  Since moving to the south and using a different oven...this recipe works better if baked for 55 to 60 minutes.  45 minutes makes it  heavy and squished. (so really it's all up to you!)

Step Eight: Let bread cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove loaves from pans and place on a rack to cool.

Step Nine: Eat and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes. I always freeze it in fact. I like pulling it out frozen and toasting it in our dedicated gluten free toaster. After I pull it out of the bread pans I let it cool, then slice, then enjoy a few warm pieces, then freeze in gallon size freezer bags. That way this one recipe lasts us a couple weeks.

      Delete