Welcome!

When I first had to go gluten free, I did not know where to begin. I tried so many recipes and so many of them were awful. I decided to create a food blog to share my successful gluten free recipes. I am so grateful to all those people that have taken the time to give us good recipes and yummy gluten free products.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Beautiful Bricks :)

Since moving to the East Coast I have had to rethink the way I bake.  In Utah, I felt that I could bake just about anything I wanted.  I knew the consistency that was needed.  If something didn't turn out right I could fix it.  The humidity and low altitude here make everything so different. 

I have a friend who has had Celiac Disease since she was a baby.  It was her birthday this last week and she had a get together.  She asked me to make gluten free hamburger buns.  I had never made them before and didn't have any trusted recipes for them.  But, I was excited to try something new.  The recipe that I found did not work.  First the batter was too runny and then too grainy.  Finally, when I was kneading it, I had to add in almost another 2 cups of flour to even work with it.  More things went wrong and I ended up with these gorgeous... bricks.  They were so heavy!  So I brought them to the party and we had a good laugh.  Now, I have a bowl of very heavy buns that I plan on using for stuffing this Thanksgiving.  Yay for being resourceful! 

I guess I just wanted to share this frustration with you.  I've been gluten free for 3 years and I thought I was getting the hang of it.  This is my opportunity to learn more.  There's a great analogy to life here I'm sure.  When you feel prideful and you think you can do anything then God sends you a little reminder of how much you rely on him, even for your bread.  What a great opportunity to grow and develop my baking talent.

I hope you are all enjoying your summer.  Remember not to let any heavy buns ruin your day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment