Welcome!

When I first had to go gluten free, I did not know where to begin. I tried so many recipes and so many of them were awful. I decided to create a food blog to share my successful gluten free recipes. I am so grateful to all those people that have taken the time to give us good recipes and yummy gluten free products.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tilapia Po'Boys


I always crave southern food in the summertime.  I don't know if it's the warm weather or maybe if it's just here because I'm almost living in the south, but this sounded so delicious.  And it was!  I used the buns from the previous post for this recipe.  I am so happy to be baking and blogging again.  

What you will need:
Cajun Mayo:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning*

*I didn't measure any of the seasonings.  I tossed in some chili powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, thyme, garlic salt, and even allspice which tasted yummy.  The point is, put in whatever you want.  

Sandwiches:
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup GF flour (for this I used King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-purpose Flour) 
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon Seafood seasoning
2/3 cup buttermilk
4 tilapia fillets
Vegetable oil for deep fat frying
4 buns

What to do:
Step one: In a small bowl combine the mayo ingredients and set aside.
Step two: In a shallow bowl (I used a pie pan), combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and seasonings.  Place buttermilk in another shallow bowl.  Dip fish in buttermilk, then coat with cornmeal mixture.  

Step Three: In a skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil.  (To know when it is hot enough the oil needs to be even more "fluid" than when you put it in.  Flick a little bit of water into the oil and if it sizzles it's ready.  If the sizzle made you jump...it's too hot.) Cook fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
Step Four: Place mayo mixture on bun bottoms and put fish on top of that.  Add in whatever toppings you desire.  I chose avocado, tomato, and lettuce.  
Step Five: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment