Welcome!

When I first had to go gluten free, I did not know where to begin. I tried so many recipes and so many of them were awful. I decided to create a food blog to share my successful gluten free recipes. I am so grateful to all those people that have taken the time to give us good recipes and yummy gluten free products.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Peach Orange Spice Cake

Well it's official!  We're moving away from Maryland and down to Alabama.  At least that's the plan right now.  I'm sure our lives are full of upcoming twists and turns.  It would be nice to say that my husband has found an awesome job, but for now we're still searching.  The real challenge that's on my mind right now is that when we move to Alabama I'll be 7 months pregnant and have no insurance or doctor/midwife to deliver the baby that is coming!  So that's a little stressful.  So to relieve stress...I bake!

This is a new recipe that I just found, it comes from Living Without (a super awesome magazine that has recipes and articles on living with allergies and they cater mainly to people who cannot have gluten!).  I made this for a few friends of ours when they came over to play music and games with us.  They LOVED it!  So of course I needed to share it with you!  And, it looks so pretty. :)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup gluten free flour blend of your choice (I used 3/4 of a cup of this blend: 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch)
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan or guar gum
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons sugar, divided
8 Tablespoons butter, room temp
1 1/2 tsp. orange zest
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon orange juice
4 ripe peaches, sliced (about 8 slices each...my peaches were HUGE so I used less)
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
whipped cream, for topping

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly oil a 9" springform pan. 
2. Combine flour blend, sorghum flour, baking powder, xanthan/guar gum, and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.
3. Beat 3/4 cup sugar and butter until fluffy.  Add dry ingredients and orange zest and beat until crumbly.  Add eggs one at a time.  Add orange juice and beat to incorporate.  
4.  Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.  Arrange peach slices on top, form concentric circles that cover the batter.  Press lightly.
5. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon.  Sprinkle over top.
6.  Bake 55-60 minutes until golden and tester comes out clean.
7. Serve with whipped cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment